Wednesday 10 September 2008

Toxic


So, I finally wrote a new piece that I don't hate and that I managed to finish. This is nothing short of a miracle, so be gentle.

It is about something specific this time, but once again the reader's perception matters more than the writer's. The words should really speak for themselves.


Toxic


The sordid air clings to everything; all-pervading

Swirling, curling, twirling crushed diamond blocks

Streams of red satin and conscience

Laughter and burning eyes

 

We are the life and soul

And the ghost in the corner smiles benevolently

She knows that soon we will touch the sun

And as wings are flicked into a pile of ash,

We fly on

 

With terms of endearment and echoes of youth

One dormant heart now erupts

Tides are turning, and we are suddenly scented

Tainted

 

Eject an apology from a rear window,

And leave for the lamplight-sunrise, far away

Wander across the endless dust to a destination revisited

And finally find, prostrate upon wilting petals,

We linger on

1 comment:

  1. I kind of love you for saying "aye." Just had to get that out there. Oh, heavens, I should hope I'm not what one would call a redneck! The ones I'm used to don't generally dream of going to pride parades, though (unless they're armed with guns)so I think I'm safe from that particular categorization. It's 7.06 pm here at the moment. Don't know what that'll translate for you...

    Feel free to comment on any of my posts at any time--I generally check the comments on them for a few days after I've posted them so you probably don't have to worry about me missing one. Rhapsody is one of my favorite words in the world. Lovelylovelove. 3am. Two nights ago this ridiculously huge storm passed through our town. I was woken up by thunder that, I swear, was in my front yard. It was so loud and so bright and possibly the single most beautiful thing I've ever experienced, nature-wise. It was so incredible. Still can't get over it.

    Hon, this is beautiful. Seriously. I just read it about four times. The wings into ashes-that kind of summarizes my thoughtws on the whole thing--graceful and sad in a way, but upliftingish...ah! Words fail me. I love it. Well done.


    la morsa camina en la medianoche,
    -q

    PS. If I'm a ladybug then what are you? A firefly, perhaps?

    PPS. Have you ever read The Realm of Possibility by David Levithan? It's incredible-my favorite book- and the words "linger" and "rhaspdic" both play big roles in it. You should check it out if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete