Saturday 14 February 2009

Ruth


I have a friend that I don't understand at all. She's perfectly intelligent and sane and fairly normal. But she believes in God. That's an understatement; she's devoted her life (at the age of eighteen) to the Christian religion. It strikes me as utterly bizarre that rational, logical people would believe in something so perfectly ridiculous, let alone decide to go to "Discipleship Training School" in their gap year.
She sent her friends a Facebook message recently, as an update on what was going on at this DTS thing. I'd like to draw attention to a small part of it:
"On the table were small welcome packs with crisps, sweets, washing powder and tokens, and a mug. Each of us also got a card from our school staff. Mine served as a confirmation from God that I’m meant to be here as it had the word ‘Breathe’ on the front. I don’t think it was a coincidence that that is the name of the student group at my church!"

This scares the shit out of me.

   Religious people are so sure of themselves. Or they seem to be, because they are so sure of God. They think things are "meant", and that unswerving trust in things unknown is a good thing. They see the good in everything and everyone and never stop being happy. They only get happier when things turn out right, and rely on their faith to get them through when things go wrong.
   I wish I had that kind of blind faith in something. Somebody. Anyone. Anything. But I am a cynic in romantic clothing - or vice versa; I can't tell yet. I doubt first and ask questions immediately. Trust has to be earned, it is not the default.
   All this means I am rarely fooled and seldom content.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, i randomly stumbled upon this entry- so very randomly. i like it.
    i am a christian, i too have devoted my life to God.
    here is why i like this so much. it's honest. pure honesty- not veiled in anything.
    i am really glad that i stumbled upon this, for more reasons than i can list. your honesty is beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, honesty is a novelty to a devout christian.
    And that comment seemed very patronizing...and sooo random.:P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just found this. I love your honesty (I know that's already been said).
    You know I've always respected and loved you, despite our differences. And I'm always there for you if you ever need a chat (or a vent!) Please don't take this as patronising, I'm just trying to be a good friend.
    Love you, hope to see you soon.
    Ruth xs

    PS I like the 'fairly normal' bit, that made me giggle :-P

    ReplyDelete